Benromach distillery was first established in Forres, Scotland in 1898.
Our family, the Urquharts of Elgin, have always been passionate about whisky. Our ancestor John began laying down casks of single malt at different distilleries in 1915, when everyone else was blending their whiskies.
It was the realisation of a long-held dream when we acquired Benromach Distillery in 1993. Five years of meticulous refitting of the distillery followed before HRH Prince Charles officially reopened our doors in 1998.
Time well spent creating a style of single malt reminiscent of the days before commercial maltings. A time when Speyside distilleries malted their own barley using peat to fuel the fires and impart a distinctive touch of smoke to their whiskies. The resurrection of Benromach Distillery signalled the rediscovery of a lost style of Speyside single malt.